Wednesday 18 February 2009

Parade Attention

Location: Women’s Hostel, Varsity College
Time: 20:00 hours
Program: March Part
Event: Annual Meet

This is the schedule for every girl in the campus of the residential college. Rather, it has been the schedule for the past month. It is a big thing in the college and according to the ‘veterans’, it helps imbibe feelings of attachment, solidarity, togetherness among the boarders of a hostel. The practice simply demands all the 1st year students, some of whom have never marched in their life, to become the best in a matter of a few days.


Rigorous practice sessions, lots of instructons from seniors make up the practice sessions every evening. In this, add up the daily amount of people fainting, falling ill, limping etc. illness becomes the order of the day and the end result, less amount of concentration duringthe class hours. End result: well, your hostel becomes the best, at the expense of others health.


One may ask, what is the requirement of an even like a March Past. Unfortunately I don’t have the answer to this (I wish I had). What king of solidarity, togetherness does this event bring is another question answered to me. from my point of view, it brings bad breath, conspiracy among the hostels. One hostek’s “secret” should not be leaked to the others –an underlined rule in all the hostels.

I, as a mere spectator need to wait till theactual event to come to get a few answers. Probably, these “honourable feelings will also come in me once I watch my hostel win. Till then, I merely stand and watch the others struggle.

0 comments: