Saturday 10 November 2007

Om Shanti Om vs. Saawariya

In the past two weeks whenever I opened the television, there was just one thing showing: Om Shanti Om or Saawariya….which one will make it big? I managed to get glimpses of most of the shows. If one channel was promoting Om Shanti Om, than another was promoting Saawariya. Each had their own promises to make. If one was saying it is the most entertaining movie than another spoke all about love. The two movies not only competed between themselves but they also made the various channels compete among themselves. The same channel just would not speak about both the movies at the same time.

I read another very interesting piece on the newspaper about the two movies the other day. It said that as both the movies were Diwali releases, some brokers had started betting on them. The brokers themselves said that this kind of betting happened for the first time and it was mainly because of the hype the two movies had created.

Seeing and hearing all this, today I went to watch both the movies back-to-back. Firstly it was my first attempt at watching two movies back-to-back and that too such “mega movies”. Both were such disasters that I don’t know where I should begin. If “om Shanti Om” made fun of the film industry than “Saawariya” forgot all about a thing called “story”. Farah Khan must have been busy looking into the movies of the 70’s and thinking what should she take from them. As far as Sanjay Leela Bhansali is concerned he must have wanted to create nature in his own way quite forgetting the element of story- telling.

Both the films were such nonsense that I don’t understand what was all the hype for? I m wondering, is media completely sold to these big producers? Can’t they for once be unbiased and not mislead the poor audience? Is it all about money and profits and not really about movie- making? Well I guess I will keep wondering and maybe I will never get any answers to them.

0 comments: